Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fun at the Air and Scare



Caught up in the spirit of the day, we actually
waited in line to have our pictured taken with R2.
Air and Scare today, comic con...ever?
Today the kids and I dressed up in costumes to try out the Smithsonian's annual Air and Scare at the Udvar Hazy. Visiting the Air and Space museum during this carnival enabled us to enjoy a museum that is pretty boring most other days of the year. [I can't believe I just admitted that publicly.]

Meeting up with friends at the museum.
What fun we had tromping around the place among happily disguised people.  Dressing up in costumes transforms people into friendly chatty chums.  In line, conversations started up over the mechanics of the costumes.  Mostly, though, people just melted over every baby ensemble.

While the advertisements promised candy, the kids were extremely disappointed in how limited the sugary distributions were.  No matter because we've already planned out next year's attack: stay until the end when they need to just give away the stuff.

Before we strategized about how to score more candy next year,  we were entertained while being educated.  A magician first wowed the kids with card tricks and then taught them simple ones to practice at home.  Then teens from local robotic teams impressed everyone with space related science lessons.


I should really remember why a marshmallow explodes and shrinks depending on something about air.  But what I really learned is that unless the place is teeming with costumed people who either display their creativity or their weirdness, I'd rather visit another Smithsonian...like the Air and Space downtown.

Just to prove we were at the Smithsonian
Air and Space museum.  Do you see the
plane back there?
When I was elementary school, I actually dressed
 like this.  My sister and I joined my mom
 in an aerobics class  where we all donned leotards,
 leg warmers, and I'm sure we wore sweat bands too.
Good thing Facebook didn't exist back then!


No comments:

Post a Comment