Monday, April 16, 2012

Mac-and-Cheese Directions Confuse Us






I've joined the club. I am now buying gluten free bread like the rest of you. Pancake mix is now free of that devilish ingredient. Did you know that you can now buy cookies without gluten? Chicken nuggets, fish sticks, and frozen burritos all come gluten free too.

And so today, I gave my son a box of gluten free mac-and-cheese to make. Busy with other things, I told him to follow the directions. I mean, hey, I was right there in the kitchen if he needed help.

He boiled the water, cooked the noodles, and then was confused. The box told him to pour all of the powder cheese into the boiling water along with the milk. Sure he was wrong, I stopped him. When he showed me the picture on the box, I kind of scratched my head and gave him the green light.

Well, it turned out just as you would expect. All of the cheese and milk went down the drain when he strained the noodles and he was left with only plain noodles. But gluten free noodles.

After the mishap we looked at the box again. Only then did we both have clarity. No longer looking for the directions to confirm adding the powder to the pot of boiling water, we saw that the picture was really showing the powder being added to a cup of milk.

All of this reminded me of the first time I tried to make mac-and-cheese. Senior year of college, I went to a party off campus.  Since there was only beer and no food to satisfy my hunger, I asked the host for something to eat. He was busy, and threw at me a box of mac-and-cheese.

I froze. We didn't eat that back at home. I had no idea it came in a box. Butter? I had to look for butter in the fridge? Milk, too? Was I supposed to dump everything in the pot at once? I was flustered. In the end, I gave him back the box and went hungry.

It seems that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. But at least my son will be prepared to satisfy his hunger should he find himself at a college party with no food.

No comments:

Post a Comment