Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Post-Easter Purge



My 11 year old boy continues to have extremely painful aches in his body. After reviewing some tests, the doctor told us that his gut is inflamed and suffering from a yeast overgrowth as well as the inability to absorb carbohydrates. At least, I think that is what she said. Typically, I have to be told something 10 times before I understand the specifics.

In order to rid his gut of this imbalance, we are taking him off gluten and sugar. And because this might help with some other ailments in the house, the rest of us will try to phase the gluten out and replace it with appropriate foods.

We are all groaning at this verdict. Easter was on Sunday, and that day is like the springtime Halloween in terms of candy. Chocolate bunnies, chocolate eggs, jelly beans...the kids had a glorious stash.

Had.

They had a glorious stash until the temptation to partake of the forbidden pleasure was taken away. Now the candy no longer calls their names. No longer must I endure them begging for candy. They aren't beckoned to eat of the sweetness because there is nothing left. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

While walking a visitor to the door on Monday (the day after Easter), we happened upon the 3 year old in a terrific mood. He was surrounded by empty, torn candy wrappers. All of his siblings baskets lay on their sides at his feet. Around his mouth was a goatee of brown juice. With wild eyes, he looked up at us and smiled.

During the time I was busy with the visitor, this little scamp had eaten every last one of his siblings candy. The kids were in an uproar, and I couldn't stop laughing while I pretended to be mad. The little dude got rid of all that sugar in one sitting.  Sparing us of any sugar imbalance, I'm holding my breath for whatever malady will manifest in his little body from that gorge.

No comments:

Post a Comment