Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Kids Loved this Codfish Recipe

"Hook is a codfish, Hook is a codfish!" I'm not sure why the children of Peter Pan chant this about Captain Hook. Is codfish really that bad to be compared to a horrible man?

Tonight I made the kids a tasty codfish and quinoa/veggie pilaf. They ate all of the fish and fought over the last piece, something that has never happened before. Imagine forks trying to stab the final filet while fending off the other forks as the kids yelled at each other. "You had more than me!" or "I'm still hungry!" Tears of pride filled my eyes and I wanted to take a video of the fight.

Even before dinner, my kids were hooked by the smell. "Moooom! What is that good smell?" Because of our busy lifestyle, I am often heating up prepared food and serving that with a side of fresh sliced veggies piled high. When I actually do cook from scratch like tonight, the smoke alarm usually goes off and the kids have to endure burnt food. Ah, but not tonight.

Not only did they like the cod but they actually loved the quinoa and ate seconds and thirds. I didn't have the broccoli called for the in the quinoa recipe, so I used frozen diced carrots, peas and corn. I think the beef bouillon cubes that I added to the water also gave that extra flavor.

So, I share this recipe with you. I recommend that you skip lunch, serve dinner early, and get them while they are hungry like I did. Then you'll see your tiny tots eating really nutritious food instead of snacking on the typical American fattening fillers.

This recipe comes from the Real Simple website:

No comments:

Post a Comment