Friday, June 15, 2012

Part I of Our Kittens: Newborns

Our cat, Con, gave birth to 6 kittens on Saturday, June 9. Like a true animal, she waited until we were all out of the house so that we wouldn't disturb her. If I were about to birth 6 at one time, you can be sure that everyone would know it, and I would demand that as many people as possible wait on me.

I only found out about the birth because I followed the sound of what I thought was a mouse in the basement. Instead of finding a mouse, I found an orange looking mouse with a bare tale and matted fur blindly trying to find its way back to momma. The cat chose to give birth under the guest bedroom bed, and this hours old kitten somehow was on the other side of the bedspread going in the wrong direction of Con.

I scooped up up the Tabby, lifted the bedspread, and found 5 more kittens: 3 mostly black and 2 more tabbies. Con looked at me tiredly, and I knew she wasn't faking it. She lay there listlessly while I returned the newborn to the squirming pile of kittens looking for an available teet.

No comments:

Post a Comment