Sunday, September 4, 2011

Wanted: Dog to Watch Animals and Children

Almost daily, I received emails and texts from my daughter who trolls Craigslist for countless animal related posts.  Over the summer, she's searched for rabbit hutches, dog crates and barn cats.  Now she is in hot pursuit of a dog.

Our last dog was a standard Schnauzer who didn't care what orders I gave him.  He drove me crazy with his incessant barking and bad manners.  One day I was too slow to capture on the camera the perfect shot of the dog eating off the highchair tray while my baby ate from the dog dish.

Not only did this dog eat food from off the counter or table, but he scared little children, killed a chicken because of his habit of chasing them, and muddied the floor every time it rained.  Oh, yeah.  I was a huge fan of the dog.


[My daughter would like to clear his name by adding that he loved to play with the kids and listened to THEIR commands.  Additionally, he only attacked the chickens out of boredom.]

Hoping to avoid many of the friction points with the last dog, my daughter is searching for a dog who will protect the chickens and rabbits that live on our farm while living in harmony with the cats.  This dog must not jump the fence and run away daily like the last canine.  And finally, he must be sweet with the children.

Is this too much to ask for?

I really don't think she is asking for too much because I would also like to add to that this dog should nanny for me like the Newfoundland dog, Nanna, in Peter Pan.  So, if I'm looking for a dog to nanny the kids, I think I'll take a cue from Mary Poppins and place an ad for our nanny-dog like this:


1 comment: