Monday, September 5, 2011

White, The New Purple

On this last day of summer for the school calendar, I'm reflecting on the many adventures my kids and I had over the summer.  We traveled a lot.  We swam at the pool frequently. We used as many coupons from our library reward book as we could.  And this time of year also forces me to face the looming challenge of having to switch out the summer clothes for the fall/winter clothes.


On this Labor Day, the kids and I used
our water park coupon from the library
reward book the day it expired, 
and I didn't wear white.
Being Labor Day, I feel this pressure to box up all the summer fabrics, colors and prints.  Out of curiosity, I asked on Facebook if white shoes are acceptable after today.  I wanted to know if this was the last day of the year to wear white shoes even though I don't own any white shoes.  Unanimously, we all agreed that white can be worn anytime it looks appropriate.


White.  That's an interesting color for clothes, isn't it?  Well, it is for me.  White is such a difficult color for me as a mom to wear.  The difficulty of keeping it clean makes me think that maybe white is the new purple.


It all boils down to what is the most difficult to obtain, right?  The least available becomes the most desirable.  Royalty of old wore purple because that dye was created through tediously extracting the dye from sea snails.  Being expensive to create, only wealthy people could afford to wear it.

Fast forward a few centuries.  A few millennia. Purple? Easy peasy.  Anyone can buy and wear that.  But can just anyone wear clean white?  No way.


In order to keep your white clean, you probably shouldn't watch kids.  Do you have any idea how many times my 4 year old has used my shirt as a napkin?  Seriously, I went around my college homecoming last year with her PB&J smears across my belly since that is at her mouth's height.


Also, I'm guessing that if you are wearing anything white that's clean, you must have an army of laundry maids diligently scrubbing those persistent stains.  Ya think just throwing those whites into the wash will guarantee they come out spotless?


Today, purple is probably being worn more by the tired, working moms who need stains concealed. Purple has fallen a long way from it's glory days presiding at the king's court.  Although it may stil may be court side today but only to have snotty-nosed children spilling their concession goodies all over it.

6 comments:

  1. A) The color behind the text is wigging me out. I have no idea what I did or how to correct it.

    B) At church yesterday, I saw a man wearing the coolest white wing tips. He lamented that because of Labor Day, he would be unable to wear them again until next year. I tried my best to assure him that those shoes were too cool to lock away until Memorial Day.

    C) I love traditions, even the white shoe thing. But in reality, my only tradition is forgetting to implement them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions can be wonderful things, but I do love to go against trends and fads, if I actually notice them. Did anybody consider that this is just a "fad" from back in the days of... well, Meet Me in St. Louis, for example. Glad I don't have to wear or clean THOSE whites.

    I find one of the problems with white, aside from it picking up dirt (by magnetism, I think), is that it shows off all your bulges and bumps. No wonder wedding dresses are hard to shop for! I feel like knocking on wood, when I wear it, but I still dream of finding the perfect white t-shirt that isn't see-through! :)

    P.S. Since I don't use blogger, I'm not sure how to fix your text problem. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!! I love it. Yeah, I hardly wear any white, and it's because it's so hard to keep clean. Exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, how did you know I just adore Meet Me in St. Louis?

    Arwen (did I get your name right?): rock on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the many problems with owning white clothing, I regularly buy the whitest shirt I can find. I say regularly because each one can only be worn once or twice before they are ruined. The last white shirt I bought was quite lovely with a v-neck and dainty buttons. I never even got to wear it after trying it on.

    I took it on a cruise and put it in a drawer where it collected residue of some sticky red syrup. I thought for sure I could get that out with water and a scrub and wear the shirt on the trip. Alas, I could only reduce the stain to a bright pink that looked like a half-hearted tie dye attempt. Into the pile of other once white shirts it goes. Mixed in with the one that looks almost grey because it got washed with black pants, and the one that is dingy yellow even after bleaching. Beside the one with a bright yellow-orange curry stain and on top of another that is mottled pink.

    "Unreal!", I thought. "That's it! I will never buy another!", I swore. "I must have it!", I exclaimed as I gazed at a nifty white shirt from the clearance rack at Target last week. ""It's only 3 dollars so who cares if I can only wear it once?" "I will be more careful this time and won't ruin it.", I justified.

    Maybe the no white after Labor Day rule is meant to make people forget that it is pointless to buy white garments so they will indulge again as soon as the sun warms them in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elissa! I love your foibles because it makes me realize that even those without kids are struggling to wear white...a clean white. Sure, we can all wear white. White, white, white, white. But is it clean?

    I laughed so much as I read your trials with white. So sad about the cruise. So funny about your resolution...and then how the sale broke your promise. You make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete