Monday, January 23, 2012

Peace During the School Hour



When the oldest were little, I banned Play-Doh. Somehow those dried-up hardened chunks managed to escape the wrath of the vacuum and the dust pan. The colorful dust on my floor didn't please me.

Instead of playing with play-doh, we did a lot of other activities. I drove the kids to playgroups. We attended story and craft times at the library. Daily I read to them for hours. We walked to the neighborhood playground or drove to explore other playgrounds.

Now that I am actively homeschooling 4 children while trying to appease 1 toddler, time is a luxury. I'm unable to participate in library programs, read for hours to each age level, or explore nearby parks.

In short, Play-doh has become the least of my worries. If my 3 year old can safely amuse himself with something that will capture his attention for an hour, what do I care if it makes a big mess? Blowing bubbles? The contents of the kitchen cabinet? Band-aids? Soap bubbles in the sink? All are fine. All have been removed from the Off Limits List. All help me maintain peace during school time.


Playing under the school table.



2 comments:

  1. how could i have failed to share my, "Let's get you all set up with your playdough in the dry bathtub!" routine??? then you hose it down later. So sorry I failed to mention that favorite of mine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, LOL on the dual "Pax during the school hour" innuendo!

    ReplyDelete