Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Comically Weak Arms

A few days ago, I crumbled under the weight and strain of an extremely heavy mirror we are throwing away. My son watched me take a full 20 minutes to inch the weighted item 5 feet from the back of the garage to the back of the van.

This mirror is almost as tall as I am and a few feet wide. With nowhere to grip but the accentuated edge, I found it very difficult to pick it up without protecting my hand with the sleeve of my shirt.

Once at the car, I couldn't lift it into the back. After trying many positions to grip it, then unseccessfully squatting before I lifted it, and finally accidentally breaking bits of the glass corners, I finally got it in the van. I drove it down my long driveway and then freaked out.

How in the world would I get this out of my van to the curb? At least it didn't take me another 20 minutes, but I struggled with the blasted thing for a good long time before I laid it to rest near the mailbox.

Today as my 11 year old son and I took notes for his research paper on Patrick Henry, my son watched the trash men effortlessly pick up that mirror in less than a 60 seconds. In a matter of minutes, they tossed that heavy mirror, the trash can's contents, and other doomed items. My son couldn't stop laughing at the contrast.

I guess it's time for me to hit the weights at the gym.

I bet this guy could've lifted my mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment