Thursday, March 29, 2012

I Need Reading Advice

I'm hoping you seasoned teachers can help me.

My 7 year old is struggling with her reading. Using the successful A Beka reading program, I taught my other kids to read. However, this little one isn't retaining the basics. Figuring that a strong foundation is needed before moving on, we are repeating the book we just finished.

While my 7 year old complains of headaches and does anything she can to get out of her reading, her little sister is showing her up. My 5 year old loves to read, and her little mind is beginning to crack the phonetic code of our language.

All of you who help beginner readers, please help me too. What are good ways to build reading confidence?

2 comments:

  1. Liz, doesn't P have glasses? If she's continually having headaches, maybe her prescription has changed? I'm not sure about the reading, but I do know that Micah used to read books like "Go Dog, Go," which is full of sight words. It gave her confidence to read a book like that. I have heard people say that if a child is struggling, then start a grade younger in order to build confidence. Eventually, they'll outgrow those books and move on to grade level. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My strugglers have like this http://www.explodethecode.com/
    and it makes them repeat lessons until they get it.

    ReplyDelete