Saturday, March 3, 2012

Current Events Via the Ears of Xbox



Years later, my kids will remember the storms that rocked the Midwest. Their recollection will be based on what they heard from their headset. Thanks to their Xbox live subscription, my kids had a first hand account of the storms out West since they play video games with kids all over the world.

My daughter asked me if I had heard about the tornados devastating the people to the west. I was taken aback that she knew about current news. We don't have any TV signal here at the house. Her knowledge of the storms wasn't from the news, though. It was through the Xbox.

This week, my kids could hear Midwestern kids trying to finish an Xbox game while their parents yelled in the background, "Get down to the basement!"

Another kid from middle America kept asking the members of the party to speak louder so that he could hear over all of the sirens blaring in his city.

Gone are the days when we heard about meteorological events days or months after they occurred. In this newly connected world, our kids are growing up to experience history as it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment