Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Hijacked Schoolday


For the past several weeks my homeschooling has been hijacked. Don't think of the sudden overpowering or powerful takeover. This hijacking took several weeks to build up to the final assault today.

For the past months, I've been preparing my 11 year old boy to recite from memory his 24 weeks of information in 7 subjects. Over the last few weeks, we've completed less and less of other subjects as we focused on his memory work.

All of this built up to today's hijacking. Today, we've done nothing except proof him. My other children have been orphaned. They've been left to their own survival as I shut everything out to just hear him recite his facts.

For 2 1/2 hours, I heard him tell me about everything from the Missouri Compromise to elements of the periodic table to what the associative law for addition and multiplication is to the first chapter of John in Latin. Then he said everything all over again in the afternoon to his oldest sister.

Go ahead and ask me to find all 50 states and name their capitals. Ask what the circumference of a circle is. Ask what an infinitive is. I'll tell you the major purposes of blood because when one member of your family studies to be a memory master with Classical Conversations then the momma is kinda forced to learn everything too.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely! I tested Dona Youhas today and it brought back great memories of when I did Cycle 3. :) I'll be praying for J as he tests!

    ReplyDelete