Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine Mail Call






As a child, I loved Valentine's Day. Every year I would convert a shoe box into a mailbox to receive all of the little store-bought cards from my classmates. I'd place my decorated mailbox on the corner of my desk and walk around to deliver all of my cards to my friends.

Here in my own one-room schoolhouse, the effect is lost since there are only 6 of us here at the house all day. There aren't enough of us to arouse suspense. What's the point of delivering mail to a handful of people?

Even though we go to classes once a week, I still thought it would be fun to participate in a nation-wide card exchange. While the weekly class may not be setting up mailboxes to receive cards, we do have a real mailbox outside to collect real mail. With real stamps.

Responding to a tweet from a homeschooling mom in Washington state, I received a list of addresses for us to send cards to 10 families in 9 states. I divided up the names of the children and assigned 4 cards per child. Then we sent our cards in bundles to each family.

Going through the mail.
On Wednesday the cards started coming in. How thrilling to receive such pretty mail! The envelopes were covered in cute stickers, and some were lumpy with gifts inside.

Excitedly, the kids opened the envelopes. The creativity and thoughtfulness displayed really made my kids feel guilty about their own contributions.  

"Our cards were so lame!"


"Yeah, how embarrassing! The cards we sent weren't as good!"

"Wow! Look what they included!"


The balloon next to it's little home.
One reason my kids felt like under achievers was a very fun gift which came from both NY and CA. Inside a small mylar package was a hear-shaped balloon, ready to be blown up. To inflate the balloon, the kids shook the little package before slamming it down on the table. Instantly the mylar package began to grow until the inflated balloon popped out.

Since this was a school project mixed in with the fun, we didn't forget the school element. Using post it notes, the kids marked where each of their cards came from and where we sent ours. I managed to include geography, art, and handwriting all in one activity!








1 comment: