Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Kids' Encounter with Jim Crow



Today I read the kids this book since we covered the 14th amendment, which made all former slaves US citizens and paved the way for the Civil Rights movement (are you CC-ers singing the history song yet??).

Reading the description of Jim Crow law to the kids provoked such disgust from my 7 year old. She squished up her face saying such sweet but ignorant things like, "If I lived back then, then I would want to change my skin to black."

When my 11 year old saw this picture of Rosa Parks being fingerprinted, he remarked how ashamed the  police officer must be now.




I agree.  Not only those who were photographed must be embarrassed, but I'm guessing any man who ever asked a black woman to give him his seat must feel like a cad too.

No comments:

Post a Comment