Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Kids' Mother is a Sucker

It's all about making a good offer -- something I still need to master.  A negotiator, I am not.  A bargainer, I am not.  At the marketplace, I'm a merchandizer's dream. Typically, I return the sale items and keep the full priced buys.  I arrive the day before or the day after the sale and figure, "Well, when else will I get out of the house to finally buy this?"

My poor bargaining skills have left me holding the short end of the stick at home too. Alas, my children know me too well.  Sure, I homeschool in order to know my children.  But did I think about the consequences of them knowing me?

Living on 2 acres requires a lot of yard work.  With all of these kids, the natural conclusion is that I should be lounging on the porch sipping Mai Tais. Or at a minimum, I'm sure you conjure up visions of the baby giggling as he throws leaves in the air while the rest of us clear the lawn of sticks and mow it with the tractor.  Smiling children rake the leaves from hard to reach areas along side a proud mother who accomplishes the Herculean task in matter of mere hours. Fresh squeezed lemonade in a glass picture awaits us on the deck table.  The sky is blue.  Singing birds land on my shoulder. Everyone is so happy to be alive for this one task.




In reality, I'm out there alone. I tried to assign the yard as a chore.  Somehow they weaseled out of that due to complaints of needing time for schoolwork.  Then I tried to bribe them.  After 2 payments, the kids decided that I couldn't pay them enough to do that job. One time I even did more than half of the job for a child that received payment. (That kid is going places!)  Occasionally, I'm able to strong arm them into helping with one of the secondary jobs so that I can zoom by faster on the tractor. But I've really lost my mode of incentives for them.

So here you go.  Here's your time to gloat.  Tell me how awesome you are at keeping on top of your children's chores.  Tell me how your amazing payment systems motivate your children to work.  While I'm rolling my eyes, I might actually glean a tip or two.

3 comments:

  1. this is hilarious because only this morning after Bible study i heard two women going on and on about their elaborate allowance/chore regimen. one of the women held her perfectly behaved toddler on her lap the entire time. i just sat there; watching my 2 year old play air hockey while precariously standing on an ottoman, narrowly missing a concussion several times. i tried hard to just ignore.....tonight my 9 year old emptied the dishwasher. that it progress. does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No tips for you. My parents used the "do it, or else" mantra on us. You know, do it or else you don't eat... ever again, stuff like that.

    But I'm taking notes, for when I have my own kids, ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Heyruthie: Thanks for sharing your own foibles as those events make me feel so much better. Yet again, knowing that someone else struggles as hard or worse than I do is such a boost. Sure, sure, something needs to change. But at least someone's pretentious judgement hasn't created another problem to add to my list of changes to make!

    @singlikenooneslistening: Your parents were right, consistent, and strong! My problem with rules and routines is that it isn't enough to enforce them once. You've got to keep doing it! Ugh! Consistent, I am not! My schedule and moods are all over the place! What if I'm the one who doesn't want to follow the rules or routine that day? Hmmm? Yet I'm expected to motivate them when I don't feel like it? Yeah, I know I do. Who knew that being a parent required foreman skills too.

    ReplyDelete