Sunday, November 13, 2011

Shoes? We Don't Need No Stinkin' Shoes!


Here in Virginia, the days are getting colder.  Cold weather, cold feet. To me, cold feet must be covered with at least socks and preferably shoes when I walk outside.

Often I forget to remind the kids to put on shoes before leaving the house because to mention this seems too obvious.  Hot weather, cold weather, it doesn't matter.  Most of my kids want to be barefoot.


This explains why I didn't learn that my youngest girl was barefoot with no shoes packed until we were 3 hours into our 6 hour drive.  With no time to turn around, an emergency trip to WalMart was needed before we could eat at Chick Fil-A.

Another time, we arrived at class to find the youngest boy without shoes.  But in that case, his footed sleeper pajamas covered his feet.  Inside a building, that counts as footwear, right?

And don't get me started about my oldest.  I think that girl is part Hobbit by the way her barefoot feet don't notice cold, wet, or rocky terrain.

Did I reject shoes this much as a child?  I can't remember.  But I'm put at ease by the stories of other families whose children also seem to repel footwear.

I remember a friend telling me the tale of when her family was stationed in Alaska.  It was winter, the snow was deep, and this family decided to go through the drive-thru for dinner.  With their car in the garage, they never needed to leave the warmth of their house.  The kids piled into their van without socks, shoes, or coats.

Normally, going from a warm house to a warm van wouldn't require winter clothes, but that day was different because the car broke down. There they were on the side of the road as they froze waiting for help to come.

To you without kids, this might appear easily avoidable.  If this is how you feel, remember that those without fault can cast the first shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment